The Risks of High Blood Pressure in African Americans.
The African American community has one of the highest rates of high blood pressure in the world. African Americans tend to develop high blood pressure earlier in life, have much higher blood pressure, and have a greater risk for complications from it. Because of high blood pressure, African Americans are:
- One and a half times more likely to die of heart disease
- Almost twice as likely to die of a stroke
- Four times as likely to have severe kidney damage
- 4 out of 10 black or African American adults in the United States have high blood pressure.
- Due to genetic makeup, African Americans may not respond as well to certain drugs for reducing high blood pressure.
- On the other hand, some medicines have been found to provide more benefits to African American people than people of other races.
EXFORGE can significantly lower high blood pressure for African Americans. In some studies, results were seen within 2 weeks after starting therapy or change in dose. Individual results may vary.
Most African Americans with high blood pressure need more than one medicine to help them control it. Pills that combine medicines, like EXFORGE, can simplify your routine.
EXFORGE is a prescription medication for the treatment of high blood pressure. It may be used when one medicine to lower your blood pressure is not enough. It may also be used as the first medicine to lower high blood pressure if your doctor decides you are likely to need more than one medicine.
EXFORGE is approved to treat high blood pressure and is not approved to treat or prevent heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease.